Professional Scrum Master II (PSM II) course is a 2-day advanced Scrum Master class designed to support Scrum Masters in their professional development.
The PSM II course is intended for Scrum Masters with at least one year of experience who are looking to grow their knowledge and abilities as a Scrum Master. This course is one step in that journey. The course also includes a free attempt at the globally recognised Professional Scrum Master II (PSM II) certification exam.
Unlike the Professional Scrum Master (PSM) course which focuses on how to use Scrum, the Scrum framework and the role of the Scrum Master, PSM II is an advanced course helping students to understand the stances that characterise an effective Scrum Master and servant-leader while diving deep into how they serve the Development Team, Product Owner and organisation.
The course then teaches students about related practices and skills to enable them to have the right types of conversations and how to apply them to become better Scrum Masters.
Over the 2 days, students will learn about areas critical to growing as a successful Scrum Master such as how the principles and values of Scrum help guide Scrum Masters in the decisions they make and how the Scrum Master can help change the environment of Scrum Teams, creating an environment for agility to thrive.
The Scrum Master role is complex and often, a Scrum Master must be able to apply different stances in order to be effective, such as:
- The Scrum Master as a Teacher
- The Scrum Master as a Coach & Mentor
- The Scrum Master as a Facilitator
- The Scrum Master as a Change Agent
The PSM-II Class covers the following subject areas:
- Why Scrum: Refresh what empiricism is and how it manifests in Scrum. Learn what professionalism means in product delivery and how it relates to Scrum.
- Scrum framework: Use the Scrum Principles & Values as a guide to the many challenging situations that a Scrum Master faces.
- Understanding and engaging people & teams: Learn how Scrum Masters can create engaging and trusting environments.
- Growing people & teams: Learn how to support the self-organisation of Development Teams by acting as a Servant-Leader.
- Agile product management: Learn how a Scrum Master can support the Product Owner in the successful delivery of valuable products.
- Organisation: Learn what a Scrum Master can do to help organisations embrace Agility and be emphatic to those with other views.
As a Scrum Master, being able to identify, and effectively apply, which stance would benefit your team the most depending on the situation or circumstance could prove to be the key to the success of your team.
As a Scrum Master, part of your role is to help management and other stakeholders across your organisation understand the benefits of Scrum and Agile. Therefore, it is imperative that you have the information and background that is needed to gain credibility in order to be an effective change agent. Throughout the class, your PST will provide stories, exercises, facilitation techniques (such as “Liberating Structures”), resources and more.
There will also be time in class for the Professional Scrum Trainer (PST) to provide coaching on challenges that you and your classmates may be experiencing today or may in the future.
Who Should Attend?
- The Professional Scrum Master II course is an advanced course specifically designed for experienced Scrum Masters who have a thorough understanding of the Scrum framework.
- It is particularly beneficial for those people with at least one year of Scrum Master experience.
Attendees make the most of the class if they:
- Have studied the Scrum Guide (required)
- Have passed the Scrum Open assessment
- Have a solid understanding of Scrum either through working on a Scrum Team, or through having taken part in a Professional Scrum Foundations or similar course
- Have been on or are closely involved in building or enhancing a software product or application using Scrum
What Is Included:
- Two attempts for the Professional Scrum Master (PSM-II) certification exam (if taken within 14 days of the course)
- 40% discount for the PSM III certification exam
- 14 PDUs from the Project Management Institute (Please note that PMI PDUs are earned for course attendance and not for passing a Scrum.org assessment.)
- Electronic copy of the course materials
- Refreshments & Lunch
All participants completing the Professional Scrum Master II course will receive a password to attempt the Professional Scrum Master II assessment, and are also entitled to a 40% discount on the PSM III assessment. These industry-recognized PSM certifications require a minimum passing score on these rigorous assessments.
Professional Scrum Master II (Included In The Price Of The Course)
People who have passed PSM II, achieving certification, demonstrate an advanced level of Scrum mastery. PSM II certificate holders prove that they have an understanding of the underlying principles of Scrum and can effectively apply Scrum in complex, real-world situations.
Professional Scrum Master III
People who have passed PSM III, achieving certification, demonstrate a distinguished level of Scrum mastery. PSM III certificate holders have a deep understanding of the application and practices of Scrum and the Scrum Values in a variety of complex team and organisational situations.
All participants who complete the Professional Scrum Master course receive a key to take the PSM II certification exam. The certification exam is done online; After the course, all students receive a key to take the exam, which consists of 80 questions and a duration of 60 minutes.
No Renewal Costs!
Professional Scrum certifications are yours for life with no renewal costs to retain them. Once you pass the assessment, you will retain that certification, you will be listed on the Scrum.org website and remain there forever with no additional future costs.
This 2-day Professional Scrum Master (PSM) course covers the principles and (empirical) process theory underpinning the Scrum framework, and the role of the Scrum Master in it. This course is a combination of instruction and team-based exercises, and teaches what is at the heart of the Scrum and Agile movement.
The Professional Scrum Master course is the cutting-edge course for effective Scrum Masters and for anyone coaching a software development team toward increased efficiency and effectiveness. The course includes advanced thinking for servant-leadership and behavioral shifts.
Throughout the course, students are challenged to think in terms of the Scrum principles to better understand what to do when returning to the workplace.
The PSM course is much more than just a set of slides and an instructor. In this course, students work on real-life cases with other classmates together as a team. This course is made up of discussions and hands-on exercises.
Who Should Attend:
The Professional Scrum Master course is for anyone involved in software development using the Scrum framework. It is particularly beneficial for those people within an organisation accountable for getting the most out of Scrum, including Scrum Masters, managers, and Scrum Team members. No pre-existing knowledge of Scrum is required to attend.
• Clear understanding of the rules of Scrum through the empirical foundation of Scrum
• Act as Scrum Masters for Scrum Teams and stakeholders from an in-depth understanding of servant-leadership
• Effectively start using Scrum
• Increase the effectiveness of Scrum underway
• Scrum theory and principles
• The Scrum Framework
• The Definition of Done
• Running a Scrum project
• Working with people and teams
• Scrum in your organisation
• The role of the Scrum Master
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is included in the price?
The price includes two days of training with Andy which includes course materials and the opportunity to take the PSM I assessment and certification after the course.
How do I achieve the Professional Scrum Master I (PSM I) certification?
The PSM I certification is achieved by taking and passing an online assessment in your own time following the course. It can be taken from any internet connected computer.
What is required to achieve the Professional Scrum Master I (PSM I) certification?
The PSM I assessment is comprised of 80 multiple choice questions that must be completed in 60 minutes. The pass mark is 85%.
What are the course hours?
Courses start at 09:00 and finish at 17:00 each day.
How many people will attend?
Andy’s courses are capped at around 10 attendees to ensure a premium experience.
How should I prepare for the course?
The only preparation required is to read the Scrum Guide.
I’m not sure if I have enough experience to take the course. What should I do?
Email the trainer at email@example.com and he will advise you.
Can I claim PMI PDU credits for attending the course?
Yes. You can claim 14 PDU’s for attending a course.
Where can I contact the trainer with further questions?
You can email Andy at firstname.lastname@example.org